rss
twitter

friday5 for January 18, 2013

Yeah, okay, I know this is being posted a day late, but let's pretend it's still Friday, okay? I had snippets of this ready to go and then on Thursday evening, when I was planning to get it finalized and schedule it for Friday posting, I was suddenly hit by the kind of head cold that makes you feel like your brain is an expanding balloon, pushing desperately against the sides of your skull as it tries to make its escape into the frigid winter air. So I apologize, but believe me, a Friday5 post assembled on a feverish brain would have looked something like this:

1. Bananas!
2. Pants!
3. Ghosts!
4. Cartwheels!
5. YA book rec = Books are amazing!

Exciting with all those exclamations, and certainly to the point, but not exactly representative of what the Friday5 is all about... so without further ado, I present to you, the belated Friday5:


1.  Let's start with the exciting news that Jennifer Lawrence is hosting SNL tonight! Remind me to set my PVR, okay? Because I highly doubt I'll still be awake. Actually, I'll go set that right now. Okay, I'm back. I love me some J-Law. And not just because she's our Katniss. If you read any interview with her (any interview), you will find yourself completely in love with her before you can even figure out what's happening. She's funny and down to earth and I really hope they write some awesome skits for her because we know she can pull off the funny.

2. The Divergent movie train keeps chugging along! Shailene Woodley (whose first name I can't spell without intensely staring at it) is talking a bit about playing Tris. I still think she's a great choice for the role. Whenever a popular book series is adapted for film, there are going to be issues/nay-sayers along the way, but so far I'm feeling optimistic about Divergent and I'm definitely hoping we'll see some images from filming as things get rolling later this spring. Especially some shots of Four!

3. First Lucy Hale played Robin's kid sister on How I Met Your Mother, now it's Ashley Benson's turn to play a HIMYM sibling--is there a way we can get the other liars on this show too? Ashley will be playing Barney's sister, who develops a thing for Ted... sounds about right. The episode airs on Monday and I think our dear Hanna's gonna rock it!

4. It's the Kristen Bell baby bump, you guys! Veronica Mars's baby is incubating away and what a sweet reminder that a baby Bell (not the cheese) will be here before we know it (okay, there's a little way to go, but that doesn't make it less exciting!) Kristen and Dax Shepard are quite possibly going to be the most fun parents ever. I can't wait to see pics of their little family later this year :)

5. This week's YA book rec is a no-brainer. I've been anticipating the release of Shades of Earth by Beth Revis since I finished A Million Suns (book 2 in the Across the Universe trilogy).

I am totally digging the green planty goodness on this cover!
Amy and Elder have finally left the oppressive walls of the spaceship Godspeed behind. They're ready to start life afresh--to build a home--on Centauri-Earth, the planet that Amy has traveled 25 trillion miles across the universe to experience.

But this new Earth isn't the paradise Amy had been hoping for. There are giant pterodactyl-like birds, purple flowers with mind-numbing toxins, and mysterious, unexplained ruins that hold more secrets than their stone walls first let on. The biggest secret of all? Godspeed's former passengers aren't alone on this planet. And if they're going to stay, they'll have to fight.

Amy and Elder must race to discover who--or what--else is out there if they are to have any hope of saving their struggling colony and building a future together. They will have to look inward to the very core of what makes them human on this, their most harrowing journey yet. Because if the colony collapses? Then everything they have sacrificed--friends, family, life on Earth--will have been for nothing.

FUELED BY LIES.
RULED BY CHAOS.
ALMOST HOME.

(Summary from Goodreads.com)
If you haven't read these books yet, I just have to ask, WHY AREN'T YOU READING THEM RIGHT NOW? If you aren't up to date on a trilogy, the release of the final book is the best time to catch up because it's all compulsion and no waiting! These books are solid YA sci-fi fun with drama and romance and mysteries and crazy spaceship antics thrown in for good measure. You can't go wrong!

Well, I'm still feeling fairly under the weather so I'm going to go take it easy. I suggest you do the same. Happy weekend!




0 comments: